Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hoarders

Have you ever seen the television show, Hoarders?  I haven’t seen the show itself, but I’ve seen a few commercials.  From the clips I’ve watched and comments from friends who are fans, the show is about people who collect massive amounts of stuff to the point where their homes often become overcrowded.

In a conversation with a friend recently I told him, “Since moving to Africa I feel like I’ve become a food hoarder.”  I’ve mentioned before how there is a lack of variety at the grocery store, which has become compounded as the electricity problems have worsened.  Since this has made the availability of food very sporadic I have conditioned myself to buy non-perishable food whenever I travel.  Let me further explain the reason for this is because I cannot eat gluten and most non-perishable foods contain gluten.  Thus, it is practically impossible for me to buy anything here which can be stored on a shelf.  So, whenever I go to Joburg, or through Joburg, I always go to a grocery store because I can get gluten-free items.

On a recent trip I realized this habit may have gotten out of hand because each time I would enter a store I would think I should buy something to take back with me to Botswana.  The good news is that I have plenty of snacks for those long nights when I am forced to eat dinner via headlamp.  The bad news is that I’m afraid I may be classified as a food hoarder.  Here is my loot from a recent trip:
As I was writing this blog post I decided to Google the Hoarders television show.  According to the statement at the beginning of the show, “Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder marked by an obsessive need to acquire and keep things, even if the items are worthless, hazardous, or unsanitary. More than 3 million people are compulsive hoarders.”  On second thought, calling myself a hoarder maybe a bit strong.  Regardless, I look forward to not having to worry about stockpiling food, toilet paper, sunscreen, or any of those other necessities which are a challenge to locate here but easily available elsewhere in the world.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like my everyday kitchen cabinet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA. I guess it's a difference in perception.

      Delete